I have taken a few hours to install and evaluate KiCad
Some basic features:
- Eeschema, schematic editor with a footprint editor.
- Pcbnew, printed circuit board editor, with a module editor and a 3D viewer.
- Gerbview, Gerber file viewer.
Plus, can be used with ngspice for circuits simulations.
Reasons for adoption:
- Libre, Open source software
- Easy to learn and intuitive with native Linux/ Mac OS installations
- Easy to migrate files from Eagle, To be verified 😛
- Huge library support online. Just search “kicad” on github
- Open Hardware Initiative
- You can get spice simulation models from chip manufacturers: Tutorial